But not always. For example, now my kids are bored, yet I am sitting here and typing my post away. But it will take them just few minutes to get off the couch and start playing.
And you know what, I am pretty surprised and very much pleased to find out that BORED KIDS ARE CREATIVE KIDS! My proud mama moments happen when my kids 'bring in' ideas from the craft or activity we did and use it to kill the boredom.
What really happens when kids get bored
I am sharing with you something personal today. I have been taking pictures of kids playing independently for last few days. I loved discovering them in the weirdest places playing the best games ever. And look what I have found...
There were times I went back home and wrote few notes because I got inspired by their activity. How cool is that?
Here are few shots I was able to catch my kids and neighbors playing after they told me they were bored. P.S. Please don't judge and worry about their safety...There was an adult somewhere near them at all times (mostly).
Kids made slide/mountain
There was an old couch neighbors threw it away, so they managed to put it up against the wall (with the help of some bigger kids) and use it as a slide and climbing mountain, because they also tied a rope for easier climbing...
They played with rocks
I still didn't get the rules of the game but it looked like they were having lots of fun. And for a long time. Read more about their Rock Activities that they came up themselves.
Lady bug tickle
I call it sensory activity in live action. They went to the meadow and looked for ladybugs. They found a lot and were so tickled to be tickled 🙂 This activity lasted for few days...
They build a shed. From trash.
They collected cardboard boxes and other things to build a home. They worked hard all day to make it cozy.
They had mud baths
Well, this one was the one I expected the least. When I saw them in the mud, I doubted for a second if I should be happy or not happy about it. And then smiled and ran to get my camera. I could not capture their ecstatic faces, but believe me, they looked like they were concurring the world.
How to go from "I am bored" to "Best game ever"
When I hear "mom, I am bored", I:
- don't take it personally. Kids can get bored even in the Disney Land.
- don't start browsing Pinterest for "Best Activities for Kids" the very first minute I hear that phrase.
- give them a chance to wiggle their brain and creativity.
- allow them the space and tools to come up with the game. Telling them 'you can't do that', 'don't touch that' will not encourage or inspire them to play. Give as much freedom as possible and safe in/around your house.
- don't give up and don't hand them ipad or turn the tv on. Not just yet.
- if nothing works and it's been 150 "I am bored", give them few ideas without revealing too much details. For example: "I am sure there is a very fun way to play with these scarfs" or "I remember I used to have the best time ever when I played with empty cardboard boxes." Get them excited, inspired and intrigued. And remember, the best fun is the simple fun.
Why it's good for kids to be bored
When kids are bored and then they come up with the activity themselves it becomes unstructured time and play which is very beneficial for kids. Here is why:
- kids find their passions and things that they really like if they get to play by themselves. If we keep creating activities and always get involved in their play, they won't really know what they like and what they really love.
- they learn how to self entertain themselves
- their creativity grows dramatically
- even their confidence is boosted, when they come up with the activity or a game by themselves.
Are you ready for Kids to get bored?
Please share your stories on what do your children do when they are bored... I am really curious to know...