One year ago I wrote a post about my morning routine that has helped me to be a happier (stay at home) mom. This post was one of the most popular ones on the blog last year.
I received a lot of comments and emails, asking how to implement this morning routine when you have a baby, because we all know it's a totally different story when you have a newborn with a crazy night sleep schedule.
The truth is...
...there is no magic formula, and the first few months you will be spending a lot of time with your baby.
However, there is one trick that has helped me to drastically improve my day and increase happiness level during mornings.
Your main goal is to get up before the baby. Even if it's just 15 minutes earlier, because if you don't, you will end up wit the situation similar in the video below.
Does it look familiar?
Let's be realistic here, you won't get a lot of ME TIME in the morning without the baby. But the good news is that if you are flexible you can do a lot of things with the baby.
6 Realistic Morning Routine Steps For Mom With Baby
1. Get up before the baby does. I know it sounds silly, but it is possible.
Here is how I did it:
- going to sleep early (as early as 8pm) was a challenge for me, since I am an owl. But it did help me to get enough sleep through the night even though I had to get up few times to feed the baby.Â Â
- safe co-sleeping helped me survive first few months. It really means a lot when you don't have to get out of your bed and go to the crib, get the baby out, feed him and put him back to the crib. Every few hours. Honestly, I have never done this way, so I can't even imagine how hard it is.
2.Â Have 15 minutes just to yourself. Do things that you love most and normally wouldn't be able to do with the baby. Do what makes you happy and gets you energized for the day.
As soon as I come down to living room in the morning I drink warm water with a drop of lemon essential oil and then I turn on my diffuser. Recently, I have been in love with Joy essential oil blend which promotes happy mood...(where to buy essential oils).
What would you love to do in the morning by yourself?
- meditate or pray?
- have a cup of tea or coffee and check your email?
- have breakfast with your spouse or older kids?
- listen to some music?
3. Baby is up and you are ready to greet him with the happy smile and excitement to spend all day with him.
Do your baby morning routine: feed, change diaper, change clothes, massage etc. Don't forget to cuddle up and give fifteen hundred kisses on his cheeks, toes and his belly button.
It's your positive energy source, so use it as much as you can.
4. Exercise together with the baby. Here is a great video tutorial to show you that it is possible and actually beneficial to work out with your baby.
If you aren't into it (or can't), just take a walk or a stroll around your neighborhood together with the baby. Breathing some fresh air will be good for both of you.
4. Take a shower with baby in the bathroom. That was the only way I could stay clean every day.
I put my baby in the car seat and put it on the bathroom floor, facing the shower. I kept the shower door open so the baby could see me. There might have been a lot of singing, dancing and mimic changing involved from my part. Just saying.... Mama gotta do what she's gotta do...(shower daily being one of them).
5. If cleaning up is part of your morning routine then use baby carrier. I honestly think that my baby carrier was the best baby item I have ever got.
Having baby in the carrier helped me go on with my usual morning routine: tidying up the house, preparing quick lunch or even dinner, putting laundry to wash and playing with my toddler. (read our revolutionary morning routine hack for kids).
6. My biggest advice is - keep it simple and let the little things go. Take care of yourself first, so you can nurture your baby and be the best mama you can be.