DIY Sandbox is one of the must have items in your backyard if you have little children (more backyard ideas you can find here). That's where a lot of creative thinking, sensory playing and of course pie making happen. So if you don't have a sandbox yet (or want to change the old one) I gathered 20 cool and creative DIY sandbox ideas for you. Some of these sandboxes require professional tools, some are so easy you can make it from the things you already have at home. I personally love those most!
20 DIY sandbox ideas with tutorials
- This DIY sand area will take you just few hours (or less) to make. Moreover it includes gravel pit playing. What can be better?
- If you don't want to make a teepee from pallets, you can use fabric! This diy sandbox with cover looks like a really good idea!
- How to build a car sandbox. It's a bit challenging, but thisoldhouse has a full tutorial, which definitely helps you to make it!
- Sandbox plus stage and puppet theater. Imagine all the play possibilities.
- Make multi purpose sandbox table with the storage underneath.
- Sandbox that matches the deck and has chalk board. How fun is that!
- Build your own sandbox with the benches. I really love this idea, because I can easily sit there and read my book when little ones are playing. Now I just have to find a handyman who could build this for me.
- I love this DIY Pottery Barn sandbox idea. Looks so simple and cute! I am sure my kids will love it.
- Don't want to build anything from a wood or other material? Well, just grab a tent! No tutorial needed, I just love this idea!
Upcycle DIY Sandbox Ideas
- Do you have an old boat? You can totally turn it into a sandbox! Looks amazing, doesn't it?
- Create a sandbox table out of old dresser. You can easily keep this sandbox on your deck if you don't have much backyard space.
- I really like Teepee sandbox made from pallets! It turns into really relaxing sand play time. I would totally sit in there. Perfect for reading time too!
- If you have an old tire you can easily turn it into a sandbox.
- If you are not up to building a sand box from scratch you can easily upcycle your old book case/cabinet and turn it into a super cool looking sandbox.
- Oh Wow, some more sandboxes ideas from pallets. So many variations!
- WOW. I am impressed by Remodelaholic creativity! This sand and water table from an old sink is just amazing!
Our favorite Sandboxes for sale on Amazon:
- Activity Sandbox with Canopy. Shady canopy helps keep kids in the shade and out of the hot sun. It has 2 plastic sand and water bins. Large enough that multiple children can play at once.
- Sandbox with shade. The roll-up cover, with mesh windows, is perfect for days when it's a little too windy or sunny for a normal day of outdoor play. The main structure is made of sanmu weather-resistant outdoor wood, and comes with three storage bins.
- Adventure Sandbox in a gender neutral castle theme. It has a medium size sand play with basic toys included. Also it includes 2 removable turrets on either side of castle reveal chutes for characters to slide down.
- Pirate ship sandbox will definitely "WOW" your kids. It has steering wheel, colorful pirate themed artwork. I love that it has shady canopy that can help keep the kids out of hot sun. It has storage compartments for keeping buckets, shovels and other sand toys together in one place.
Super useful DIY sandbox tips!
- Do you know that if you put cinnamon in the sand box it keeps most bugs out ?
- Make in-destroyable sand toys from ROCKS!
- DIY Fun sandbox additions. You can make the most simple sandbox into a lot of fun play using simple tips from Happy Hooligans. It really doesn't take much to make it fun for kids! The more simple the better!
I hope you've found something that was useful to you! Share the best DIY sandbox idea in the comments below!